Monday, October 15, 2012

Fall 2006, return to the Golden State

 In 2006 I returned to California, around October, this time of year. I got to my dad's place , a small condo, two-stories, but just a loft really. He was grumpier than usual, and I was tired from the long and heartbreaking drive west. After a few days I began to notice things seemed a little off. I wondered if it was medications that my dad was taking. He always was a complainer, and was never really of good cheer, so that seemed normal to me. There were a few things that were alarming. He began losing his ATM card (or maybe he had been before and I had never noticed it) he'd lose it every couple of months.  Though he has only two cats, he had three litter boxes (in case of a potty emergency that requires flying from one to another litter box I supposed?) With my allergies in that tiny place I was sick all the time with those boxes. It took me almost 6 months to convince him that he needed no more than *two* boxes for two cats.  He was confused about what was going on in television shows (he was watching "Lost" which was confusing enough on it's own) so I blamed his confusion on the shows, the medications, the idea that he might be bi-polar had to be the reason he flew into rages, it had to be. I didn't know any other reasons why he would. He got so frustrated with his laptop one day that he began slamming his fist into the keyboard. This, of course, caused all kinds of havoc with the drives, the sound card, etc. It would have been cheaper for him to buy a new one, but he took it to be repaired.

I will try to make this more than a chronicle of things I noticed, and I may come back and edit this part later. I just want to get down how I felt at the time (a little baffled) and what was going on that I was able to understand, or not understand, you be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment